Same Blacks Video

In Poetic Justice, we have been working on our poems that needed to have a message, talking about political issues.  We have went to libraries, Capitol One Cafe, and other places so that we could work on these poems and have peace and quiet.  Instead of being at the school for 2 hours.  For this unit we had to make a video of us saying our poem, but not only are we saying it, we are PERFORMING it.  When it comes to reading a poem you need to have lots of emotion and some movement.  We talked about the type of performance you want to give when you are reading a poem or when you are reading anything.  When you are reading to an audience, you need to make them engaged and always make sure that you are acting out some of your poem.  Your audience has to be able to imagine what your poem was all about.  Like a movie playing in their head.  In my video, you will see movement and a different tone in my voice when I am reading my poem.

DSC_0140 from KRM on Vimeo.


“If you’re black, stay back;
if you’re brown, stick around;
if you’re yellow, you’re mellow;
if you’re white, you’re alright.”

This… This is just a shame
No wonder we learn to hate
It blows my mind

Why is it that we judge people by the color of their skin
Last time I checked, we all looked the same from what is within
Melanin, No melanin, we are all the same
But some people like to joke with others and they need to know that this isn’t a game

Nowadays, if you’re lighter, you’re better
But remember at one point when we all worked together?
People are so caught up in their buffoonery
Not even thinking about what our future could be.

But you see, me, I’m that girl that certain black people want my color
But what people don’t understand is that,
I was born from someone the same color as them… my mother
My own sister, she calls me white
She carries a grudge because I am so light

Colorism is discriminating based on skin tone
This is just all the way wrong
We are fighting our sisters and brothers
When we should be uniting to improve each other

We come from the same place, that is something people don’t get
Makes me want to fuss, and throw a fit
Colorism, such a huge impact in the world
Crazy because it is for both boys and girls

Back then, I would’ve been a house slave
Now people think that it impacts on how I behave
I would feel like I am not better
Not being able to see my mom, only imagining her voice by reading a letter

I don’t intend to make others feel bad about themselves
But I guess I get on their nerves like a loud school bell
The life of colorism still exists
And to be honest, I am pissed

Colorism is taking over
Where some blacks look at lights like we are a 4 leaf clover
I don’t understand why our color matters
Because sooner or later, this world is going to shatter

Why do people think that they are better than others
Which isn’t true because we all come from fathers and mothers
But the worst part, is we’re tearing each other down
And that only makes us look like fools and clowns

Colorism is taking over
Some people think they are the best like a very nice Range Rover
Melanin or none, We are all people of God
Why are we separated in gangs and squads

We need to stand up for what is right
Even if it means that we need to put up a fight
We are all here for a reason
Because this is the year for a non-judging season.

I never believed in good hair and bad hair
Because I know blacks with the opposite hair texture
Brown Paper Bag test started this all
We as a people are having a big fall

My dad and I would’ve passed
But to me, all blacks are in the same class

That is the fight that we go through
Acting like animals that live in the zoo
Black is beautiful
But we’re going after each other which is unusual

The Brown paper bag test defined if you were good or not
If your skin was lighter than the bag you passed the test
If your skin was darker you couldn’t do certain things that lighter toned people could do

My friends grandma, Millie Cruzat
She passed the brown paper bag test, I know her and how cool is that
She tells me stories on how her life was
She would talk about the fights, and how people brought out there claws
We as a people are ruining each other
But aren’t we supposed to be sisters and brothers?
Social Media, “Whose winning? Darkskins, brownskins, or lightskins?”
And I feel like comparing the color of your skin is a sin
Let’s change this world right now
Because judging is something I won’t allow
All black people are amazing
Colorism, Colorism, its about to start fading!

Conclusion
This project was very fun. I enjoyed making the video and I enjoyed going to to different places so that I could work on my poem. Filming this video was very fun, because I was able to express myself and show others how my poem is suppose to be read. When you are suppose to be upset, laugh, shocked, and sad. This wasn't as hard as the first project but I did have to wait so that I could get recorded for tis project. I enjoyed doing this video and I hope that you enjoyed my project as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opposites Attract!!

Freedom Of Speech... But Don't Take It Too Far!!

Activist Paper